Request for Proposals
Non-profit Bookkeeping/Accounting Services
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL) is a non-profit member-based organization in St. John’s, NL. WANL is seeking proposals for contracted bookkeeping services.
Overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors, WANL is funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Canada Council for the Arts as well as other cooperate and private sponsors. Founded in 1987, WANL contributes to a supportive environment for writing in the province; works to nurture and inspire writers at all levels and stages of their careers; fosters public recognition of Newfoundland and Labrador writers; advocates for the well-being of writers; and promotes the enhancement of the literary arts in the province and beyond.
Statement of Purpose
All applicants should have relevant non-profit experience, particularly accounting for organizations receiving government funding. The bookkeeper selected will be responsible for providing the following services:
• Accounts Receivable: receive and record revenue as required by guidelines.
• Accounts Payable: payments to vendors and prepare annual form filings
• Maintain costs by program and/or grant designation
• Follow the established budget cost allocation plan
• Assisting with grant reporting
• Review staff timesheets and proper grant allocation
• Process and enter payroll information into accounting system
• Maintain deposit and vendor files by fiscal year
• Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts as well as reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts
• Monthly reconciliation of payments made for invoicing
• Monitor release of restricted funds
• Identify areas for management review regarding process and practice to improve efficiency and ensure compliance
• Budget to actual summary and detail
• Prepare monthly statements of income & expense, balance sheet or other reports
• Present financials to Executive Director on monthly basis
• Participate in financial audits and reviews conducted by funding agencies including document preparation and onsite support
• Prepare year end reports, schedules and other documents requested by auditor
• Provide audit process support as needed; research and resolve issues as they arise
• Provide reports and data as requested for the completion of annual tax returns
• Prepare periodic reports as required by Executive Director, Board of Directors and funders
• All Federal and Provincial government reporting requirements
• Maintain fixed asset inventory and depreciation
Term of Contract
Completion of the above services related to the completion of one fiscal year
Proponents are requested to submit a price for completion of the noted services for the prescribed term, with a monthly breakdown of required hours to complete the work and a detailed fee schedule. The selected proponent will be paid monthly with an approved invoice. Any adjustments, additional expenditures, or other service outside of the scope of this proposal must be pre-approved.
Please limit the proposal to three pages, excluding attachments, and provide:
• Proponent Information, including company name and address, email and phone number
• Description of services and approach to bookkeeping/accounting services, particularly as it relates to non-profits, and accounting for government and restricted funding
• Summary of previous similar work for non-profit organizations and multi-agency funders
• Proficiency with accounting software such as Quicken, QuickBooks, Sage, etc.
• Cost Proposal
• References for which proponent has performed similar work; include the current contact information for each
Proposals will be assessed based on completeness, proponent experience, experience with previous similar work, references, and cost proposal. Interviews may be requested.
Questions and completed proposals shall be submitted via email to Jen Winsor, Executive Director, Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete proposals are due by 5:00 pm NST on June 1st, 2018.