CALL FOR APPLICATIONS IS NOW CLOSED
• The contest is open to all residents of Newfoundland and Labrador over the age of nineteen (19).
• Stories (fiction, non-fiction, or creative non-fiction) must be in English.
• Word count must be a maximum of 250 and must include the word “broken”.
• Stories must be unpublished (in print or online) and not currently submitted to any other contest or publication.
• Entries must be typed, double-spaced in 12pt font.
• Only one submission per participant.
• Blind judging: do not indicate your name on the story itself. Instead, provide the following information on a cover page, or in the body of an e-mail: author’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, story title, and word count.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Postcard Story Contest
Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
208-223 Duckworth Street
St. John’s NL A1C 6N1
-Use the subject line “Postcard Story Contest”.
-Provide contact information and title of story in the body of the e-mail.
-Attach story as a Word or PDF document.
-Send to email@example.com
2016 Application Information: Check back in 2016
3RD Annual Postcard Story Contest Winner:
The WANL Postcard Story Contest judges, CBC Radio host Angela Antle and actor/author Greg Malone, read almost one hundred entries, selected Mary Pike as the winner with her story “Sharo.” Pike won a $250 cash prize plus a $50 gift certificate from independent bookstore, Broken Books.
An emerging writer, Pike’s credits include winning the 2014 H.R. (Bill) Percy Novel Prize (Atlantic Writing Competition) and the 2013 Percy Janes First Novel Award, as well as receiving honourable mention for the 2011 Cuffer Prize. In 2012, Pike apprenticed with Gerard Collins in the WANL competitive Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers.
The two runners-up include Kristine Power for “The Cartography of Them,” and Chris Bruce for “Don’t Fix It.” Beth Ryan received Honorable Mention for “On the Rocks.” Part of the prize for all finalists included publication in the Newfoundland Quarterly’s 2015 summer issue.