The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador, in partnership with the Newfoundland Quarterly, is happy to announce a brand new youth writing contest: Write It in Emoji!
Technology has encouraged us to say a lot in very little space, which is often achieved through use of images. A single emoji can tell a story all on its own. Write It in Emoji asks: How much can you say in 50 emojis and how well can you translate it?
The challenge: Create a short story or poem using a maximum of 50 emojis and then “translate” it into 250 words or less. Submissions will be judged based on creativity, on quality of writing, and on effectiveness of the written translation when compared to the emoji story/poem.
Prizes: First place winner will receive a one-year WANL membership, a one-year Newfoundland Quarterly (NQ) subscription, $50 in TVAL Skincare products/gift certificate, and $75 cash.
Second place winner will receive a one-year WANL membership, Winter issue of NQ, and $50 in TVAL Skincare products/gift certificate.
Third place winner will receive a one-year WANL membership, and Winter issue of NQ.
FREE TO ENTER.
- The contest is open to all residents of Newfoundland and Labrador 30 years of age and under.
- Submissions must contain both of the following: a story or poem consisting entirely of emojis (maximum 50 emojis) and a written translation of the emoji story/poem (maximum 250 words).
- Stories/poems must be unpublished (in print or online) and not currently submitted to any other contest or publication.
- Submissions must be single authored.
- Submission translations must be written in English.
- One entry per person. If more than one entry is made by the same person, only the first entry will be included for consideration.
- A screen shot of the emojis is required to ensure that all emojis appear as they were meant to.
- Written component must be typed, double-spaced in 12 pt font and submitted as a PDF.
- Blind judging: Do not indicate your name on the story itself. Instead, provide the following information on a cover page, or in the body of an e-mail: author’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, submission title, and word count.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please email your submission to email@example.com. Only email submissions will be accepted.
Submission deadline: 5 p.m., Friday, September 22, 2017.