Workshops are offered at various times throughout the year.
Over the years, workshops have included topics on both the craft and business of writing, such as creative non-fiction, advanced poetry, character development, writing dialogue, grammar basics, book reviewing, play writing, script writing, digital marketing, taxes and the writer, writing for radio, editing, creative writing for youth, and more.
WANL members receive a discount on workshops.
WANL strives to offer writing workshops in communities across Newfoundland and Labrador where funding permits. Workshops have been offered in Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Gander, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and St. John’s.
Planting Seeds: A Marketing Workshop for Authors
June 12, 14, 19, & 21 from 7-8 PM (NST)
Offered Online via Facebook
$20 for WANL Members
$30 for Non-Members
ADVANCED REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
Email email@example.com to register.
Geared towards traditionally and independently published authors, this four-part online series will cover the essential marketing skills every author needs.
Participants are required to have a Facebook account to access this workshop.
Planting the Seeds: The Essence of Marketing,
Watering your Garden: Marketing your Books in the Real World (Offline),
Expanding your Field: Marketing Online, and
Preparing for Harvest: Putting your Plan in Place
A full-time writer with four published books, Carolyn R. Parsons is originally from Change islands, NL, and resides in Lewisporte, NL. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, she worked primarily in management positions in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. Her credentials include extensive marketing experience attained through her business and entrepreneurship education as well as on-the-job skills. The majority of her past work was in a media or communications environment that required knowledge and application of marketing principles. Adapting these principles to marketing her own work has been her focus in the past year as she independently published two books that required her to be the sole marketer. She is one of the co-founders and director of Literary Events NL Inc., focusing on Media Relations, and is the Central/Burin representative for the Writers’ Alliance of NL.
– Publishing Panel with Boulder Publications, Breakwater Books, Engen Books, Flanker Press, ISER Books, Pedlar Press, and Running the Goat Books & Broadsides
– Flash Fiction with Bridget Canning
– Trim & Tone for Prose Writers with Claire Wilkshire
– Present: A Workshop with Paul Rowe
– How to Work with an Editor: Panel with Editors NL
– Promote: A Workshop with Beth Follett
– Publish: A Workshop with Scott Bartlett
– WANL-Winterset Emerging Writers’ Workshop with award-winning authors Richard Gwyn and Cassie Stocks
– Ecofiction with Anne Erickssen
– Travel Writing with Gary Geddes
– Battle of the Genres See 2014 AGM Itinerary for listing of workshops and their details.
– Writing with Donna Morrissey