Workshops are offered at various times throughout the year.
Over the years, workshops have included topics on both the craft and business of writing, such as creative non-fiction, advanced poetry, character development, writing dialogue, grammar basics, book reviewing, play writing, script writing, digital marketing, taxes and the writer, writing for radio, editing, creative writing for youth, and more.
WANL members receive a discount on workshops.
WANL strives to offer writing workshops in communities across Newfoundland and Labrador where funding permits. Workshops have been offered in Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Gander, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and St. John’s.
Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon: NL Writers Edition
WHEN: Tuesday, August 14 from 1-3 p.m.
WHERE: Room L2028 (first floor Computing Classroom), MUN’s Queen Elizabeth II (QEII) Library, St. John’s
Free event. All welcome!
Wikipedia Edit-A-Thons are events where a group of people meet up to edit and grow a specific subject on Wikipedia that has noticeable gaps in it. Our topic will be writers of Newfoundland and Labrador. The purpose is to make significant historical writers who have been overlooked more easily found and researched, while also teaching those who attend how to use the Wikipedia platform. Although we will have mainly collected research on past writers (many of whom are now deceased), we encourage you to bring any knowledge or research you have about ANY NL writer, living or dead. Our goals for the event are to:
- Create new Wikipedia pages for those NL writers who don’t currently have one
- Edit current pages that are lacking detail
- Add names to the category “Writers from Newfoundland and Labrador” to create a more complete list
- Teach attendees how to use the Wikipedia platform as an Editor
Let us know you’re coming! Sign up by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computers will be provided and there’s no need to have any prior knowledge of editing.
The QEII library is accessible. For more information on accessibility please visit: https://www.library.mun.ca/usingthelibraries/disabilities/
We look forward to hearing from you!
– Story By You community writing workshop with Stacy Gardner held at the St. John’s Women’s Centre
– Planting Seeds: An Online Marketing Workshop for Authors with Carolyn R. Parsons
– Publishing Panel with Boulder Publications, Breakwater Books, Engen Books, Flanker Press, ISER Books, Pedlar Press, and Running the Goat Books & Broadsides
– Flash Fiction with Bridget Canning
– Trim & Tone for Prose Writers with Claire Wilkshire
– Present: A Workshop with Paul Rowe
– How to Work with an Editor: Panel with Editors NL
– Promote: A Workshop with Beth Follett
– Publish: A Workshop with Scott Bartlett
– WANL-Winterset Emerging Writers’ Workshop with award-winning authors Richard Gwyn and Cassie Stocks
– Ecofiction with Anne Erickssen
– Travel Writing with Gary Geddes
– Battle of the Genres See 2014 AGM Itinerary for listing of workshops and their details.
– Writing with Donna Morrissey