WANL’s 2017 Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers
Call for Applications
The Writers’ Alliance invites applications from individuals interested in its 2017 Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers. Applicants to both the mentor and apprentice positions are being sought. The apprentice position is designed for writers who have a substantial work-in-progress and who are committed to the creative development of their writing. The mentor position is designed for writers with a history of publication and a commitment to the craft of writing. Each apprentice will be matched with a mentor to work on a one-to-one basis over an intensive five-month period beginning in Spring 2017.
Who can apply as an apprentice?
- WANL members in good standing with a substantial work-in-progress in any genre
- Individuals prepared for a disciplined, focused period of work during which writing is a priority
- Individuals who did not participate in this program in 2016
- 18 years and older.
Who can apply as a mentor?
- WANL members in good standing who are working in any genre
- Individuals who have a significant publication history and some mentorship or teaching experience
- Individuals who did not participate in this program in 2016.
Mentors are expected to contribute 25 hours to in-person conferencing (where possible) and 25 hours to reading/prep work, or some combination thereof, to this program. Remuneration will be up to $1800. The program is provided at no cost to apprentices. A committee will select and match mentors and apprentices.
HOW TO APPLY
For an apprentice position, please submit the following in triplicate:
A typewritten, double-spaced, ten-page sample of your work on 8.5 x 11 white paper (poetry submissions are exempt from the double-spacing requirement); include length of manuscript to date (i.e., word count or number of poems)
- A statement of what you hope to achieve during the mentorship and how you think it will assist you with your manuscript;
- A summary of your recent writing history, how long you’ve been writing, and your publication credits, if any.
For a mentor position, please submit the following in triplicate:
Your C.V., including publication credits;
- A cover letter stating your mentoring or teaching philosophy and any previous mentorship experience;
- Genre(s) you are interested in mentoring.
Incomplete applications will not be eligible. Email submissions will NOT be accepted.
A committee will select and match apprentices with mentors. Before final acceptance, successful apprentices may be asked to provide their full manuscript. Successful applicants will be notified in April 2017.
Send applications to:
Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
223 Duckworth Street, Suite 208
St. John’s, NL
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Postmarked no later than March 24, 2017
This Program is made available through generous funding by: Canada Council for the Arts