CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for the 2017 Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 19, 2016 (St. John’s, NL) – The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL) and the Literary Arts Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador (LAFNL) are pleased to announce the call for submissions to the 2017 Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards (NLBAs). The NLBAs celebrate and honour excellence in writing by authors in Canada’s easternmost province.
Eligible submissions are adjudicated by independent juries recruited and facilitated by WANL. These awards cover a two-calendar-year publishing period, with pairings of Fiction and Children’s/Young Adult Literature presented in even years, and Poetry and Non-fiction presented in alternate years. This year we will be presenting the EJ Pratt Poetry Award and Non-fiction Book Award.
1. The awards are open only to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador.
2. The author must have lived in Newfoundland and Labrador for at least 36 months of the last 5 years. The residency period for the 2016 awards is the five calendar years from 2012-2016.
3. Published between January 1st, 2015, and December 31st, 2016.
4. Books must be single-authored.
5. Anthologies and audio books are not eligible.
6. Books that have been translated are eligible. However, in the case of a translated book, the award is to go exclusively to the author.
7. Books that have been taken from dictation are also eligible, but, again, only the prime creator of the work will be given the award.
8. Books that contain other media in addition to writing (photos, CDs, graphics, etc. by the writer or other artists) are eligible provided there is only one writer. The award will be given only to the writer of the book’s text and only for the writing.
9. Self-published books are eligible provided they are professionally produced, i.e., printed by a commercial printer.
10. Members of WANL’s Literary Awards Committee are not eligible.
11. Revised editions will be considered when the following conditions are met:
a. The book has not been previously submitted to The Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards; and
b. In the opinion of the Literary Awards Committee, the book contains new material to the extent that it is not merely a re-issue of a previous publication.
i. Include four (4) non-returnable copies of each book
ii. Include a signed letter stating the category entered and confirming that all submission requirements have been met. Please note we are accepting Poetry and Non-Fiction submissions only.
iii. Include the entry fee payment of $30 per submission/title, to:
Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards
c/o Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
Haymarket Square, Suite 208, 223 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL, A1C 6N1
Ineligible and/or incomplete submissions will not be returned and the $30 entry fee will not be refunded.
Submissions deadline: Postmarked by Friday January 27, 2017
Jen Winsor, WANL
Phone: (709) 739-5215
The Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards are a partnership between the Literary Arts Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador under the distinguished patronage of The Honourable Frank Fagan, CM, ONL, MBA, Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador.