WANL Mentorship Program 2022: Mentor Listing & Call for Mentee Submissions
June 30, 2022
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland & Labrador (WANL) is now accepting mentee applications from individuals interested in its 2022 Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers.
The WANL Emerging Writers Mentorship program is designed to serve the needs of emerging Newfoundland and Labrador writers who are committed to the development of their writing. It is aimed at writers who are on the cusp of professional publication and who have a substantial work-in-progress.
The Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers program is made available through generous funding by the Canada Council for the Arts.
To facilitate this program, WANL accepted applications in two rounds for two positions: mentors and mentees. The 2022 mentors have been selected by a jury.
We are happy to announce the 2022 Mentors are:
• Bridget Canning
• Douglas Walbourne-Gough
• Tracey Waddleton
• Agnes Walsh
For more information on the mentors, please click here!
In addition to the usual submission requirements, applicants also list their first, second, third, and fourth choices of Mentor from the listing on the WANL website. If you have no particular preference, you can elect to have the selection committee assign a pairing.
The committee will then match mentors and mentees to work on a one-to-one basis over an intensive five-month period. Decisions for the mentor application will be made on the basis of the best-suited match between the mentee and the mentor.
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador is committed to greater inclusion of traditionally marginalized communities. In an effort to encourage the development of a more diverse writing community, we strongly encourage applications to the Mentorship Program from all members of Indigenous communities, members of culturally diverse groups, members of disabled communities, and members of official language minorities, whether or not they are current members of the Writers’ Alliance.
Who can apply as a mentee?
The mentee position is for writers who have a substantial work-in-progress and who are committed to the creative development of their writing.
- WANL members in good standing with a substantial work-in-progress in any genre
- Individuals prepared for a disciplined, focused period of work during which writing is a priority
- Individuals who did not participate in this program in the previous year.
- Individuals 19 years and older
How to apply as a mentee:
For a mentee position, please submit the following:
- A typewritten, double-spaced, ten-page sample of your work (poetry submissions are exempt from the double-spacing requirement); include length of manuscript to date (i.e., word count or number of poems);
- A statement of what you hope to achieve during the mentorship and how you think it will assist you with your manuscript;
- A summary of your recent writing history, how long you’ve been writing, and your publication credits, if any.
- Send your submission in a .doc or .pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of Monday, August 1, 2022 at 5 p.m. NL time.
- Late submissions will not be accepted. Ineligible and/or incomplete submissions will not be returned.
Click here for full submission guidelines!
Times and Locations
June 30, 2022