Call for Submissions: Seeking Children’s Books for Drag Storytime!
June 11, 2021
We are marking Pride Week in St. John’s (July 16-25) with a series of kid-friendly reading events, streamed virtually on the WANL Facebook page.
We partnered with Raise Up Fundraising in 2018 and 2019, putting on successful events at Broken Books and the St. John’s Farmer’s Market. It’s been a while since we’ve had the opportunity to work with these wonderful folks, and we are so excited to partner with them again in 2021!
Please note: The following opportunity is open to WANL Members only…
(though non-Member BIPOC and 2SLGBTQIA+ authors are also encouraged to apply!)
WANL is currently seeking submissions of children’s books from local authors, especially books that delve into topics such as inclusion, friendship, accessibility, anti-bullying, empowerment, caring for the environment, and other relevant themes that teach children how to be better and do better for the world around them!
Want to submit your children’s book to be read at Drag Storytime?
⬇️ Read the submission guidelines below! ⬇️
Drag Storytime Submission Requirements:
– Submissions must be made by the author of the book.
– The author must provide WANL with the text in entirety of their submitted work to ensure your work is appropriate for the intended audience.
– The author must have written permission from the publisher to record audio of the book’s content.
– The author must have written permission from the illustrator, as the illustrations will be shown on video.
(Please note: Written permission can be given in the form of a forwarded email, including timestamps and email addresses for potential contact, if needed.)
– The submission must include an estimate of the required time to read the book in its entirety, accounting for emphatic pauses and gesturing to illustrations. A total time of between 5-10 minutes is preferred.
– The author must note the length of time that they are comfortable having this video online (i.e. for one week, one month, indefinitely, etc.)
– The author must submit a high-resolution book cover, a headshot, and a short, one-line introductory biography for the Drag Performer to use as an introduction to the book before the reading.
(example: “Today we’re reading, Goodnight Moon, written by American playwright, author and beagle lover Margaret Wise Brown. The book is illustrated by American artist Clement Herd.”)
Deadline for Submissions: June 25, 2021, at 5 p.m.
(Please note: Drag Performers will be paid for their hard work and entertainment in this reading series. As this call for submissions is seeking previously published books and does not require additional work from the author outside of the submission process, WANL is not offering financial compensation to authors from this opportunity, which aims to increase online visibility, book sales, and web traffic for featured authors.)
Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
Please note that incomplete applications will be disregarded.
WANL thanks you for your interest.
Times and Locations
June 11, 2021