Call for 2019 NL Book Awards in Non-Fiction AND Poetry!
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL) is pleased to announce the call for submissions to the 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards (NLBAs) for Non-Fiction and Poetry!
The 2019 awards are for works in Poetry and Non-Fiction. The author of the winning book in each category (Poetry and Non-Fiction) will receive $1,500. Two runners-up per category will be selected. Each runner-up will receive $500.
Residency: The awards are open only to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador. For the purposes of these awards, a resident is defined as a person who has lived in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 12 months immediately prior to the date of publication OR must have lived in Newfoundland and Labrador in any combination of 36 of the last 60 months. The residency period for the 2019 awards is the five calendar years of 2014-2018. An award may be presented posthumously to an author who has met the residency requirement.
– Books published between January 1st, 2017, and December 31st, 2018.
– Books must be single-authored.
– Either the author or the publisher may enter a title.
– Books must be in English.
– Books that have been translated are eligible. However, in the case of a translated book, the award is to go exclusively to the author.
– Self-published books are eligible provided they are professionally produced (i.e. printed and bound by a commercial printer).
– Collected or selected works by a single author are eligible provided at least 50% of the text is previously unpublished material.
– Books that contain other media in addition to writing (e.g. photos, CDs, graphics, illustrations) are eligible; however, the award will be given only to the author of the book’s text and only for the writing.
– Books containing material not written by the author (e.g. letters, diaries, memoirs, blogs, oral histories, selected writings) are eligible provided at least 50% of the text is written by the author (e.g. introduction, exposition, commentary, reporting, narrative, footnotes, epilogue).
– The following are not eligible for the NL Book Awards: anthologies with more than one author; audiobooks; unpublished manuscripts; textbooks; a self-help or how-to book; a manual or guidebook on any subject. (e.g. travel, nature, cookbook), dictionaries, encyclopedias.
– Revised editions will be considered when the following conditions are met: a) The book has not been previously submitted to The Newfoundland and Labrador Book Awards; and b) In the opinion of the Literary Awards Committee, the book contains new material to the extent that it is not merely a re-issue of a previous publication
– Current members of WANL’s Literary Awards Committee are not eligible for the NL Book Awards.
– Final decisions on the eligibility of submitted entries remain with WANL’s Literary Awards Committee.
– WANL reserves the right not to present the award should there not be enough entries for competitive adjudication
– Assessment of all eligible submissions to the NL Book Awards will be adjudicated by independent juries recruited and facilitated by the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador. – A jury with appropriate literary expertise will be convened for each award
– The independent jury for each award will submit a shortlist of three books and a winning book from that shortlist.
– The paramount consideration is excellence in writing. Jurors should reflect on creativity, wordsmithing, and originality.
– A juror must disclose any conflict of interest. WANL defines conflict of interest in terms of whether a juror stands to gain any financial benefit through association with a submitted title, or if the juror stands to gain from any moral or intellectual rights, or if the juror has a significant personal relationship with the author of a submitted title. If there is a conflict of interest, the juror will be asked to step aside.
– The decisions made by the NL Book Award juries are final.
– Include four (4) non-returnable, professional printed and bound copies of each book
– Include a signed letter stating the category entered and confirming that all submission requirements have been met.
– Include the non-refundable entry fee that applies to you:
- Free submission for WANL members paying full membership fee
- $15 submission fee per title for WANL members paying $25 membership fee
- $40 submission fee per title for non-WANL members
Submit along with your submission(s) to:
Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards
c/o Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador
223 Duckworth Street, Suite 202
St. John’s, NL A1C 6N1
– Ineligible and/or incomplete submissions will not be returned, and entry fees will not be refunded.
– All books and materials submitted become the property of the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador and will be used for the jury members, sponsors, and promotional activities.
– Late submissions will not be accepted.
Submission Deadlines for Non-Fiction:
Postmarked no later than 5 p.m. (NST) Friday, August 30, 2019.
Submission Deadlines for Poetry:
Postmarked no later than 5 p.m. (NST) Friday, August 23, 2019.