2018 POSTCARD STORY CONTEST – Now Closed
• The contest is open to all residents of Newfoundland & Labrador who are 18 years of age or older.
• Stories (fiction, non-fiction, or creative non-fiction) must be in English.
• Word count must be a maximum of 250 and must include the word “baggage.”
• No profanity should be used.
• Stories must be unpublished (in print or online) and not currently submitted to any other contest or publication.
• Entries must be typed, double-spaced in 12 pt font.
• Only one submission per participant.
• Blind judging: do not indicate your name on the story itself. Instead, provide the following information in a separate document, or in the body of an e-mail: author’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, story title, and word count.
• WANL, NQ, The Travel Bug, and Broken Books staff, contract employees, and board members are not eligible.
• Winner – $250, one-year subscription to Newfoundland Quarterly
• Runners-Up – $25 cash and a $25 Travel Bug gift certificate, one-year subscription to Newfoundland Quarterly each
• Plus all three shortlisted entries will be published in NQ Summer 2018 issue
HOW TO SUBMIT
• Use the subject line “Postcard Story Contest”.
• Provide contact information and title of story in the body of the e-mail.
• Attach story as a PDF document.
• Send to email@example.com
Deadline: Tuesday, April 10, 2018
The 2018 Postcard Story Contest is presented by the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland & Labrador in partnership with Newfoundland Quarterly, The Travel Bug, and Broken Books. Postcard Story Contest logo designed by Perfect Day. 2018 Judges are Eva Crocker and Larry Mathews.
NQ takes first serial rights of winning entries only for print. All other rights remain with the author.
Past Postcard Story Winners and Runners-Up
Winner: “In Medias Res” by Robert McDonald
Runners-Up: “Waterbed” by Allison Graves and “Billy Rabbits” by Geoff Pevlin
Winner: “Sharo” by Mary Pike
Runners-Up: “The Cartography of Them” by Kristine Power and “Don’t Fix It” by Chris Bruce
Honourable Mention: “On the Rocks” by Beth Ryan
Winner: “Where is the Pigeon Camera” by Matthew Lewis
Runners-Up: “History” by Suzanne Fitzpatrick and “Last Shot” by Holly Rose
Honourable Mention: “Lunch” by Anthony Brenton
Winner: “Nocturne” by Sasha Boczkowski
Runners-Up: “Other Hours” by Grant Loveys and “Twenty-five” Below by E. B. Reid