Benefits of Regular Membership
- Reduced rates for WANL professional development workshops
- WORD, a triannual magazine that includes articles on the craft and business of writing, topical issues, interviews, members’ news, ‘New on the Shelf’ featuring books by members, and more.
- WANL Newsletter, a bi-weekly e-newsletter featuring member news (such as book launches and signings), readings, events, opportunities, announcements, contests, awards, and more from across the Province and beyond.
- Profile in our online Members Directory.
- Listing in our online Writers-for-Hire.
- Access to our programs and services, such as our members’ only Manuscript Evaluation Service and Emerging Writers Mentorship Program.
- Opportunities to meet other writers from Newfoundland and Labrador and across Canada
- Use of our lending library containing books written by local authors, issues of literary journals, and reference books.
- Eligibility to vote at WANL Annual General Meeting
- Eligibility to apply to our Spring Tides Reading Series
- Opportunities for WANL paid gigs such as mentor, manuscript evaluator, juror for WANL programs, workshop facilitator, and reader.
- Eligibility to apply for WANL awards.
- Members’ only discount with various retailers and companies including Broken Books, The Bee’s Knees, and The Travel Bug.To view membership categories, or to join, visit our Membership page.
Update: Spring 2020 – WANL Expands Membership Benefits with Addition of Health Insurance Access
The Writers’ Alliance NL is pleased to announce that enrollment in personal health insurance is now available to our membership.
We have entered into an agreement with the Actra Fraternal Benefit Society (AFBS), a not-for-profit insurer launched in 1975 and owned by Canadian performers and screenwriters, to make available to you The Writers’ Coalition Program, a nationally-available personal health insurance made exclusively for the writing community.
There are two levels of insurance – standard and comprehensive – allowing you to select the cost and benefit package that works best for you and yours. Please read the Coverage Overview below for a comparison of the two offerings.
The Standard Program and Comprehensive Program both include:
• Guaranteed acceptance
• Coverage for individuals, couples and families
• Health benefits for life (if premiums are paid)
• Portability (insurance coverage follows you wherever you go)
• No waiting periods
• No deductibles
For additional information, and for a quick quote, please visit: www.writerscoalition.ca. This program is administered exclusively by AFBS.
Please direct any questions regarding benefits, coverage, and costs to AFBS at: 1-855-934-2355 / email@example.com