Call For Submissions: WORD Magazine
Do you have an interesting story to tell our members? Have you done a great interview with a writer or about writing you’d like to share? Maybe you have a unique perspective to share on the writing process? Send us your story to be included in WORD Magazine, our annual membership publication.
Submissions should be between 500 and 700 words and accepted submissions will be published in print and digitally later this year.
Contributors will be paid $75 or will receive a free one-year WANL membership.
Deadline for submissions is September 15, 2021.
Promote Your Book
Advertising deadline is August 31, 2021.
Advertising deadline is August 31, 2021.
WORD Magazine – 2021 Edition
Have you received your edition of the 2021 WORD Magazine?
Click the link below to read “A Message from Your (Former) President” by Kelley Power, a note “From the Editor’s Desk by Alisha Morrissey, a rundown on our Pitch the Publisher event by WORD Committee Members, and pieces by WANL Members like Cathy Smallwood, Deirdre Smith, Carolyn R. Parsons, Tonia Evans Cianciulli, and more, including WANL President Susan Flanagan!
Thanks as well to WANL Board Member and Journalist Connie Boland for the beautiful cover art, titled “Woods Island Sunset.”
WORD Magazine – Covid-19 Edition
Have you received your edition of WORD Magazine?
Thanks to our amazing WORD Committee and all of our fantastic contributors, it’s a beauty!
Call for Submissions for 2020 WORD Magazine
Call for Submissions
Call For Submissions: A Special Edition of WORD Magazine!
Do you have a Covid-19 story to tell? Written some poetry about these “interesting” times? Got tips on productivity or did you contribute to your community in some way through the pandemic? Send us (firstname.lastname@example.org) your story to be included in a special edition of WORD Magazine, focused on the experience of writers during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Submissions should be between 500 and 700 words and will be published on paper and digitally later this year.
Contributors will be paid or will receive a free one-year WANL membership. Deadline for submissions is Aug. 1, 2020.
Request for Proposal: Design, Printing, and Mailing Services for a Special Edition of WORD Magazine
The Writers Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador is currently accepting proposals from businesses interested in designing, printing, and distributing the organization’s annual publication WORD Magazine.
Overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors, WANL is funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Canada Council for the Arts as well as other corporate and private sponsors. Founded in 1987, WANL contributes to a supportive environment for writing in the province; works to nurture and inspire writers at all levels and stages of their careers; fosters public recognition of Newfoundland and Labrador writers; advocates for the well-being of writers; and promotes the enhancement of the literary arts in the province and beyond.
Statement of Purpose:
The successful respondent(s) must have substantial experience in producing high-quality design products, including print and online. The successful respondent(s) will work closely with the publisher and the managing editor to create products that support the brand and strategy of WORD Magazine and WANL. The production process of the magazine is collaborative, with significant interaction between the managing editor and the graphic designer.
Respondents may include more than one business bidding together or one business providing all three services. Services to be included:
- Layout and design of two 32-page (including covers) magazines for one year with the possibility of renewal
- Printing of approximately 350 (times two) full-colour, 32-page (11×17 folded and stapled or saddle stitched), glossy stock magazines including heavier weight covers
Distribution to approximately 350 members addresses, via Canada Post or other
- Designer will be provided with all copy, images and materials for publication. Layout will include importing of text copy placement of ads, photos, and the creation of some graphics.
- Copy editing and proofing to be completed by the WORD Magazine committee.
- The design partner will have the opportunity to work with our advertisers on a fee-per basis as some will need print-ready ads for publication.
WORD Publication schedule:
– Deadline for articles (no advertising) Aug. 15 (internal)
– Article Selection and Editing Aug. 20 – Sept. 5 (internal)
– Layout Begins Sept. 7
– Deadline to printer Sept. 30
– Printing Oct. 15
– Distribution (on or before) Oct. 31
– Deadline for articles and ads Sept. 30 (internal)
– Article Selection and Editing Oct. 1 – 19 (internal)
– Layout Begins Oct. 21
– Deadline to printer Nov. 17
– Printing Dec. 2
– Distribution (on or before) Dec. 30
Bidders must provide a comprehensive breakdown on proposed costs, including costs for layout and design, printing, and distribution including a per-piece mailing cost.
Please limit the proposal to three pages, excluding attachments, and provide:
- Proponent Information, including company name and address, email and phone number
- Summary work plan, describing the proponent’s approach to managing the project
- Summary of previous similar work and experience in layout and design of similar publications or equivalent work
- Demonstrated experience printing a high-quality magazine or other printed product
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, or directly distribute, publications mail
- A cost proposal including separate costs for various components of the project
- References for which proponent has performed similar work; include the current contact information for each
- Selection Process
Proposals will be assessed based on completeness, proponent experience, experience with previous similar work, references, and cost proposal. The WORD committee and WANL board reserve the right to select a proponent based on this criteria and the lowest bid will not automatically receive the contract. Interviews may be requested.
Questions and completed proposals shall be submitted via email to Alisha Morrissey, WORD Committee Chair and WANL Board Member at: email@example.com. All final proposals should be provided in PDF format and received by 5 pm NL time, July 15, 2020.
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador’s annual WORD Magazine is available exclusively to our esteemed membership base.
The 2020 edition is a full-colour, 30-page magazine, featuring gorgeous hi-resolution photos, artworks, and informative and interesting articles from a slew of writers.
Some of the topics included cover writing processes, opinions about the NL literary scene, how-to guides and advice columns for aspiring and established writers, and much, much more!
The cover artwork, titled “My Love” comes from Kaleigh Middlekoop, graciously provided to WORD by the artist, who is currently based in Indiana, USA. Layout work was done by Matthew Ledrew and Kelley Power, with Emily Buck taking on advertising. WORD was printed by Print Three in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Inside the magazine, read articles from amazing local writers such as:
– Dorothy McIntosh Harvey
– Alex Saunders
– Candace Osmond
– Robert Gilbert and Sapan Narang of Access Copyright
– Matthew Ledrew of Engen Books
– Michelle Churchill
– Helen C. Escott
– Brad Dunne
– Jacinthe Tremblay of Le Gaboteur
– Sherri Singleton
– Jeff Kelland of Indie Publishers of Newfoundland and Labrador
– Shelly Kawaja
And from The Writers’ Alliance of NL Staff and Board:
– WANL President Kelly Power
– WANL Executive Director Jen Winsor
– WORD Editor Andrew Peacock
– Member at Large Lauralana Dunne
– Central/Burin Representative Carolyn R. Parsons
– Treasurer Amanda Labonté
– Avalon/St. John’s Representative Renee Boileau
What our readers had to say about the 2020 edition of WORD Magazine:
“I just received my print copy of WORD in the mail and I must say I am very very impressed by it. As an editor who has done periodical layout, it is clear that the quality of this is top-notch, the topics interesting, and the presentation really sings. Thanks so much for doing this.”
“I got my copy in the mail this week and I’m so impressed. You’ve all done a wonderful job: the layout is excellent, the articles interesting and varied, and it’s a pleasure to read. I know how much work was involved, and you all deserve a big thank you. THANK YOU!”
Are you a member of WANL and would like a print or electronic copy of WORD Magazine?
Email our Member Services Coordinator Wendy Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your copy.