OUTREACH ACTIVITY COORDINATOR
The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL)
Position: Summer Student
Location: St. John’s
About WANL: Established in 1987 as a member-based, not-for-profit organization, the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador has grown to become the provincial literary sector organization headquartered in St. John’s.
The Outreach Activity Coordinator will assist WANL staff and board in furthering the Alliance’s community outreach projects; help with set-up, maintenance, and promotion of WANL’s resource room; and organize public literary reading events/activities. This is a temporary job opportunity made possible by Canada Summer Jobs. The position will be 7 weeks long at 30 hours per week with a wage of $11.15 per hour. Anticipated start date is Monday, June 25, 2018.
- Applicant must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- Applicant was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year and intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year.
- Applicant is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program
- Applicant must be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations. Foreign students are not eligible.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Community Outreach: Identify community groups who would benefit from literary reading events such as senior retirement homes and youth camps; establish communications with identified parties; and assist with coordination and completion of events.
- WANL Resource Room & Archive: Establish historical database; collection and filing of archival materials; inventorying and updating of resource library collection; implement library catalog for online database; and promotion of the resource room to the community.
- Assist in member and public activities such as ‘Rainy Day’ reading groups and writing workshops.
- Assist with the coordination and execution of public reading events.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Facility in managing interactions with the public and service providers
Please email your cover letter and resumé, including 2 references, to Jen Winsor, Executive Director, at email@example.com by Monday, May 28, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. NST.
WANL thanks all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.